Wednesday, 15 October 2008

All sweetness & light!

Here is the result of those luscious raspberries that I picked on Saturday - ta dahh! Raspberry Pavlova...

with ice cream...or without?

I'll definately be growing raspberries next year.

My brother Rick has been very generous and sent me some money to buy some fruit bushes for planting next spring to get me started, so I shall have fun shopping at the garden centre. Also I had some money for produce on my birthday from my sister in law. Again, very much appreciated and it will be nice to buy some plants or maybe a tree.

Now the plot is becoming more clear, there is an element of lightness and the sun now shines on areas that were previously darkened by the shadow of trees.

I've been digging the ground in readiness for 1st, levelling off and 2nd, to spread a layer of manure over the winter. As soon as I dig one area, the next time I visit a day or so later, there are little seedlings already shooting, so before I even begin to dig again, I have to hoe the seedlings! I love how it's coming to look different. I'm patient enough and am blessed with an overal view of how it's all going to look this time next year! This is a side view of just half of my plot. The Anderson shelter in the distance is the end. That is just one compost heap that I am starting. Behind the shelter, is my neighbour's stuff. He is going to move it over the winter which will inevitably tidy the area.

Food for thought!
I bought a magazine yesterday whilst out shopping. I didn't realise that there was a magazine for allotments - or for growing fruit and vegetables.



There was a free gift of 5 packets of seeds too, so I felt the value was justified for both advice and produce.

Effectively, I got the magazine for nothing and only paid half the usual price I would pay in the garden centre for the seeds. A bargain.



For lunch today, I tried something new! Yesterday I bought some salad leaves, beetroot and spinach at the community allotment on our patch. The lady asked if I was adventurous and added a few things I didn't expect! She also gave me a free sample of Jerusalem artichokes - something I have never tried before.

I'm not sure about the flowers...I did eat the 2 Borage ones, a couple of petals of Calendula and the Nasturtium petals but that's as far as it goes! The Nasturium leaves tasted quite peppery, as did the Rocket leaves which I do love. The Jerusalem artichokes were a little different than what I expected but I'll not be growing them myself! LOL. I didn't have any trouble eating beetroot. I was brought up on it and I LOVE it.

Whilst I was there, I saw this beautiful Globe Artichoke and couldn't resist taking a photo of it. As for eating one....well, not for me. I can't say I was full after lunch!


So, it was straight to the chocolate for dessert - a whole bar was gone without any guilt after eating such a healthy lunch.

Thanks so much for reading my blog.

Toots for now.


1 comment:

RosaMari said...

¡ Hola Glenda !

Muy sano y original tu blogs.
Sigue adelante.
Un besito.